There are not many war-time courthouses in North Carolina. Most of the county seats of government have been replaced a time or two since the war ended. One of the few remaining structures is found in Morganton, Burke County.
Burke County's courthouse was built in the 1830s. From 1847 to 1861, the North Carolina Supreme Court used the building to hold summer sessions, escaping the heat in Raleigh. According to local legend, some of Stoneman's troops rode their horses through the building in April 1865. The building survived the war and serves as a museum today.
This photo was taken in July 2012.