Thursday, January 13, 2011

A look around the Old North State

Sorry for the slow posting this week. It’s not that I’m not thinking about North Carolina and the War – I am. I’ve researched and written about the 29th, 39th, 58th, and 60th regiments at Chickamauga, the 58th and 60th regiments at Chattanooga, and the 1st North Carolina Colored Volunteers at the battle of Olustee. Today, I’m working on the second day of the battle of the Wilderness. All of this is for my book Civil War North Carolina, being published by the History Press. I would like to have the manuscript turned in by March, and I still have over 30,000 words to go, so I have my work cut out for me.

I have made some remarkable progress, considering that it is snowing quite a bit here in western North Carolina, keeping me home and off the roads.

So, on to other news. Here are a few things going on in the state that have appeared in the news.

There is a very interesting article in the Charlotte Observer about some of the local libraries and historical societies and some of the events that they are sponsoring. Check it out here

The speakers for the 14th Annual Salisbury Prison Symposium have been announced. Check out the list here

According to this article, the preservation of the field at Kinston has grown by three acres. Three cheers for the Harper sisters.

Information about a new web site to focus on the University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill during the war, can be found here

Lenoir County is getting ready for the sesquicentennial – learn more here

Information about Mary Middleton Orr, from Western North Carolina, and her experiences during the war, can be found here

No comments: