Friday, May 07, 2010

Yet another one of those little mysteries.


If you did not know, John Smith is the most common name in the English language. It is a genealogist’s nightmare. Back a few months ago, I was in the Cross Creek Cemetery in Fayetteville, and came across a tombstone for John Smith, Co. I, 58th North Carolina Troops. This tombstone was in the small Confederate section, not far from North Carolina’s first Confederate Monument. Yes, there was a John Smith in the 58th North Carolina Troops. He was first sergeant of Company I. The problem? The John Smith in Company I died on April 15, 1873, and is buried in Watauga County. So I wonder who this John Smith is? According to Soldiers and Sailors, there were 211 men by the name of John Smith who served in the Confederate army from North Carolina.

1 comment:

Gino said...

Yes, John Nelson Smith, buried in Watauga County, North Carolina, is my Two-Great Grandfather.