Wednesday, July 02, 2014

The 33rd NCT - my weak point.


My work on the Branch-Lane brigade has been at a standstill the past few weeks. Between putting our house on the market and traveling to Florida with Nathaniel's science team, I've just been pressed for time. But now, it is time to get back at it.

I'm sitting at the beginning of the Maryland Campaign, and I've come to the conclusion that the 33rd NCT is my weakest link. I know less about this regiment than the other four. For example, at Hanover on May 27, 1862, after portions of the 33rd NCT captured the Federal field hospital at the Slaughter House, I honestly cannot say what they did for the next couple, maybe three hours. I do know they retreated, and eventually made their way to Ashland, but just what they did in the ensuing time is a mystery. Likewise, at the battle of Second Manassas, the 28th NCT and the 33rd NCT were ordered to support a Confederate battery on the far left of the Confederate line. The 28th NCT was recalled and redeployed, but what did the 33rd NCT do for the rest of the day? How far on the left were they and whom did they engage? They did suffer a few killed and wounded during the day, but nothing in comparison to the rest of the regiment.

I have on hand:

Weston's history from Clarks;

Schaffner's diary from the NC State Archives;

Shore's letters from Emory University;

Patterson's Reminiscences for the NC State Archives;

and, a few newspaper accounts.

Just not much there to draw upon...

1 comment:

Jeff Felton said...

Michael,
Am finding the same problem concerning Anderson's Brigade (Ramseur, Cox) between the Seven Day's and Sharpsburg. Not a lot of first hand stuff from that brief period.

Jeff