Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Looking for NC's Civil War: the Rowan Artillery at Gettysburg


Back a few years ago, I found a couple of great letters from a member of the Rowan Artillery concerning the battle of Gettysburg. These letters were used in my book, North Carolina Remembers Gettysburg. Longstreet's Corps had no Tar Heel Infantry within it, only three Tar Heel batteries. Once of those batteries was the Rowan Artillery, also known as Company D, 1st North Carolina Artillery. At times, the Rowan Artillery was the far right of the Army of Northern Virginia at Gettysburg. This battery supported Hood's attacks on July 2. During the action, one of the guns burst, and was later replaced by a captured Federal gun.

I have visited this site numerous times, and I usually have these letters and read them as I sit here, imagining what took place. This photo was taken in May 2010.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...


That is a truly great read for me.