Sunday, September 28, 2008

A short update

Yesterday was Old Timey Day in Burnsville. Yancey County was celebrating its 175th anniversary, and we participated in a living history on the grounds of the square. We set up an infantry camp and had an artillery piece and crew, along with an 1860s ladies display. The ladies were, among other things, making bandages for soldiers.

I’ve been hard at work on the 58th NCT book. Right now, the regiment is getting ready for its small part in the battle of New Hope Church.

I’ve been (happily) dealing with scores of email. I recently posted 58th NCT queries to list serves in Ashe, Watauga, Mitchell, Avery, Yancey, Caldwell, and McDowell counties. This has generated probably 100+ emails that I’ve been responding to. A lot of these folks have dates (birth and death), burial places, stories, and photographs. If you have emailed me and I have not responded, please bear with me – I’ll get to yours soon.

Speaking of which, I’m going to work on some of those now….

No comments: