Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A full day

I really enjoy being a writer. Yesterday, I left out about 9:30 am, onmy way to the Caldwell Historical Museum in Lenoir. I had to sign booksfor a group of teachers (the Broyhill Scholars) who were touring themuseum. I then had a wonderful lunch with them before darting off toWilkesboro. In Wilkesboro, I spent three hours going through the papersof the Lenoir family. I was particularly interested in the letters anddiary of Walter W. Lenior. Walter was an unofficial member of the 25thNorth Carolina and then helped recruit a company for Vance's Legion. After the Legion failed, that company joined the 58th North CarolinaTroops. However, right before the regiment's organization, Walter waselected lieutenant, then captain, of Company A, 37th North CarolinaTroops. Six weeks later, Walter lost a leg at Ox Hill. The diary that heleft behind is a important piece of North Carolina history.

After three hours in Wilkesboro, I went to Boone and ASU to do alittle research. I wanted to know just what North Carolina's opinion was regarding the east Tennessee bridge burnings. The conclusion I reached after two hours of reading microfilm was not what I had hoped: not much reaction by the press (save Asheville) whatsoever.

I got home last night a little after 8:30. The only downside to anotherwise great day doing what I love: with drive time, I logged in 11 hours yesterday. But some days are like that, and it's great to do whatI love, even for longs days!

No comments: