Friday, June 17, 2011

Avery County and the Civil War

I just wanted to take a few minutes to give you a recap of last night’s Avery County and the Civil War program. I call these “round tables” because that seems to be the best fit. We had 30 people present last evening, and the conversation lasted 2 ½ hours. In these programs, I typically start off with a short (five minutes?) introduction. I then sit down (the chairs are placed in a large circle). For the first hour or so, the questions are usually geared toward me. But after that, more people warm up, and some quite lively conversation takes place among the participants. Last night was no exception. The conversation was great! Many of us were sharing information on men from the area, local skirmishes, and the war in western North Carolina as a whole. Overall it was a fantastic event!

If your library, community center, school, or historical society would like to host one of these events (here in NC), drop me a line and we’ll chat. I would love to help facilitate this in your county.

No comments: