Friday, November 20, 2009

Anniversary

Twenty-seven years ago this weekend, I went to my first re-enactment. It was held in Orange Springs, on the edge of the Ocala National Forest. I was ten. I don’t remember all of the details. Something in the back of my mind says that site was an actual skirmish site, or maybe the church there was the one that Capt. J. J. Dickinson attended. I don’t remember exactly. I do know this – I’ve been hooked since 1982. I’ve been to scores (hundreds?) of events, from the small to the great, and I’ve meet amazing people (including my darling wife). I would just like to say publicly – Uncle Jeff, my life would have been dull without you.

I’m still not really working on much. I was in Asheville last night talking to their SCV Camp – good bunch of folks. I’ve been trying to answer email, and I’ve been slowly reading through some material and taking notes for my next project. I am kind of tired and burned out. Working 15+ hours days for about six weeks while I finished the 58th NCT book has taken its toll. So, I am just going to kind of glide for the next month or so. I’ve several appearances to make, and a family reunion to attend. So, blogging will be slow until after the holidays. Maybe I will get back to my county-by-county study soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michael, just tried to subscribe to your blog via the "Atom" link at the bottom the page but it says there is no feed. Wondering if you are aware of this and if the link might be broken.

Also, just as I mentioned to Ross Cooper about his blog, you have so much valuable family information that it would be invaluable if you could tag family surnames or periodically include a post with links to those you've noted.

Thanks so much for all that you do to document and share our history. My sister and I hope to return to Avery Co., NC in the fall of 2010. I'm hoping you'll be speaking there and that we'll get to meet you in person.

Tamara G. Suttle
Castle Rock, CO
http://www.TamaraSuttle.com
http://www.AllThingsPrivatePractice.com