Monday, October 12, 2009

Good Weekend

Well, it was a rather exciting weekend. On Friday, I was speaking at the Friendship Luncheon of the North Carolina Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy in Fayetteville. This was their annual meeting, and I was speaking on the importance of remembering the common soldier. After I finished speaking, they presented me with the Jefferson Davis Historical Gold Medal for my book, Remembering North Carolina’s Confederates. The Medal is presented for “furthering the study and preservation of Confederate history…” I am honored and would like to thank the wonderful ladies of the North Carolina Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy for this unexpected reward.

But that is not all, the North Carolina Society of Historians recently saw fit to honor two of my local history books with their Willie Parker Peace History Book Award. This makes the fifth and sixth times that I have won this award. The books for which I won this year are Families, Friends, and Felons: Growing Up in the Avery County Jail, co-authored with Jimmie Daniels; and Images of America: Mitchell County. Once again, I am truly honored.

So what’s next? I am going to work on trying to get my email caught up, and we are going to work on expanding the shelving on in our library this week. Interestingly, when I talk about moving our books around, everyone I know sort of seems to disappear until I announce that I’ve finished.

No comments: