Saturday, May 24, 2008

Confederate Cemetery in Dalton

One of the places that I visited on my recent trip through north Georgia was the cemetery in Dalton. I had been once before, maybe 15 years ago. In the past, a historical marker informed us that there were 421 unknown and four known Confederates buried in the Confederate section of Dalton. I was pleasantly surprised to find a new monument with the names of those 421 men. From the 58th North Carolina, we have these:


David Bright, Co. F
Sgt. Maj. James Inglish, F&S
George Keener, Co. G
Jacob D. Shook, Co. D
Washington Stevens, Co. F


The monument had Sgt. Maj. Inglis’s name twice, once as James Inglish, and the second time as James English, neither of which are correct. Oh well, at least I now know where he is buried.


This is just one more small piece of the puzzle.

No comments: