Thursday, April 10, 2008

Events, happenings, and 58th NCT update.

As I posted yesterday, I finished the draft of chapter 9 last week.The Atlanta campaign comes next and I'm reading about Resaca right now.

But, I am kind of at a standstill. There is a new collection at ASU, the Bernhardt-Harper papers. This collection has been microfilmed and appears to have letters that Major Harper of the 58th NCT wrote home and which are not in the Harper collection at Chapel Hill. However, the collection is not yet open to the public and the archivist does not expect it to be opened until this fall. So, I'm in a quandary.

On other fronts, I've started an article on the February 1864 battle of Dalton. We'll see where that goes. I've also started working on a new Arcadia book, this one about Mitchell County, North Carolina. I'm the author of three of their Images of America series. There were a lot of men in the 58th NCT from Mitchell County. Maybe I can get some more resources.

Next week, Im speaking in Charlotte on Tuesday night, and Marion on Thursday night. I'm also lined up to do a school program at Mitchell County High School Thursday morning.

Two new programs have come along recently. One is in Raleigh on May17. I'll post more on this as we get closer. The second is at the Sons of Confederate Veterans National Meeting, which is in North Carolina this year in July. The title of my program is "First, Foremost, and Last: The North Carolina Soldier in Battle." This should be a lot of fun.

Well, I guess that is about all for now. Time to go and drag out the lawn mower for the first time this year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This will be the third comment that I have left today, but figured I better comment in a more recent post to keep track of return comments from you. In your research of the 58th, have you cross-examined the Southern Claims Commission Records to see if any names from the regiment pop-up in the claims?