Monday, July 23, 2007



This past Saturday, I had the privilege of going out with a fine group of folks to place VA grave markers on the graves of Confederate soldiers in Mitchell and Yancey Counties. The group later went on to Madison County, but I was not able to go with them. Our first stop was the old Bakersville Cemetery. We placed a new marker on the grave of Albert N. Marker. Next, we marked for the first time (save for a rock) the grave of John F. Baker. Baker died during the war in a hospital in Bakersville, North Carolina.


The group then took off for the Bear Creek Cemetery, where we replaced the broken grave marker of William Duncan.


Next, we took off up Rebel’s Creek to place a centotaph for John Howell. That is the large group photograph. The fellows in suits are from the SCV Camp in Blountville, Tennessee, and one of them is related to Pvt. Howell.


Finally it was off to Yancey County and the Silver Cemetery, where we placed a marker for W. Alexander Silver. Silver died in Yancey County in 1862, and we believe that he is buried here in this cemetery near his parents.


That is when I had to leave the group and head for the Toe River Storytelling Festival. As usual, I have far more to do than I have days on the calendar!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog, and in particular the picture proudly remembering and displaying the battle flag. I am just beginning to discover my NC ancestral links to the Civil War, and so far have found a great, great grandfather in the 54th NC. I'm sure to find many more that served in the Confederacy. Thanks for your efforts.