Wednesday, May 16, 2007

NC Ordinance of Secession back in Capitol

Sure wish I could go and see this, but alas, I already have plans. If anyone makes it, please drop me a line.


North Carolina Secession Observance Date: Friday, 18 May 2007, through Sunday, 20 May 2007 T

he original North Carolina Ordinance of Secession will be on display for three days only in the House Chamber of the North Carolina State Capitol in Raleigh NC. A special legislative session convened on 1 May 1861 and called for the election of delegates to a convention. The convention met at the Capitol on 20 May 1861, and voted to secede from the Union, launching North Carolina into the War for Southern Independence. The Capitol building will be open to visitors on Friday from 8AM to 5PM, on Saturday from 10AM to 4PM, and on Sunday from 1PM to 3PM. The Capitol is located at 1 E. Edenton Street in Raleigh. For further details or directions, please call (919) 733-4994 or send e-mail tostate.capitol@ncmail.net

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm going to try to make it to Raleigh on Sunday to see this.

26NCT said...

Michael,

Raleigh was great. Went as part of the 26th NCT. Excellent spectator turnout, and excellent LH both days.
Acting as Color Guard ( And as the Director of the NCMOH requested it was more than ceremonial) for the original 11th NC Battle Flag was indeed an honor.

The re-enactment of the passing of the Ordinance of Secession Sunday went well. Although I am learning to dislike the position of Parade Rest when I see those politicians and officers start speechifying :)

I am looking forward to reading your book on the 37th.

I am researching some distant relatives who were in Co. B 35thNC.
Merritt and Joeseph McKinney.
Sons of THE Charlie Mckinney.
I have in my possession a very interesting copy of a tintype? of Merritt McKinney in a most unusual NC Sack that you might be interested in. I gave Jackson Marshall at the NCMOH a copy, but he said he has never seen one like it.
Sounds like you are in my neck of the woods, Mitchell/Yancey Counties. I'm also interested in finding out about others who possibly served; Kates/Cates, Ellis ,Silvers, Sparks, Duncan.

By the way there is an event ( Davidson's Fort) in Old Fort June 2nd and 3rd.

Shoot me a line and I will send you a copy of that Photo if you like.

Thanks,
K. Ellis

Michael C. Hardy said...

Would love to see a copy of that photograph - I've come across a lot of unuals clothing items in period photographs.

Regards,
Michael

sexy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.