Friday, December 15, 2006

Regimental Histories


Congratulations to Eric Wittenburg on the publication of his book on the 6th Pennsylvania Cavalry - I am looking forward to getting a copy soon.

Speaking of regimental histories, the topic of my last post, which regiments (North or South) would you like to see get their own histories? No, I’m not fishing for more projects. I’ve got a list of regiments that I would like to write about that will take many years (if ever) to complete. It took me seven years to research and write my history of the 37th NCT, and I’ve been collecting information on the 58th NCT for just as long, so putting together good regimental histories is not something that can be done in a matter of months. I’m just intrigued to know which areas of scholarship have the greatest interest.

So, which regiments would you like to see histories of?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Michael. Much obliged.

Personally, I would like to see good histories of the regiments of James B. Gordon's brigade.

Eric

Anonymous said...

Michael,

More on our Tarheel regiments who served in the Army of Tenn.

I am glad to see you putting your efforts into writing the history of the 58th NC.

I have always been a fan of the western theater and the hard luck Army of Tenn. Along with the 58th, several other infantry regiments from NC served in the AOT - 29th, 39th and the 60th NC and the 6th NC Cav.

I have been fortunate in my studies to walk the ground at Chickamauga with Dr. Glen Robertson on several staff rides where the actions of the 58th and 60th truly stand out.

Wade Sokolosky